Nada Khatib is a Canadian artist and talented palette knife painter born and raised in Toronto, Ontario. Her family arrived to Canada as Syrian refugees fleeing persecution in the late 80’s, and she currently resides in Petawawa, Ontario with her husband. Nada began painting 14 years ago as an outlet for creativity and self-expression.
Graduating with a Bachelor of Arts and starting a career in the corporate world made it clear to Nada that art is her true calling. In the spring of 2018, she took the risk of a major career change, followed her dreams, and founded her company, Expression By Nada. The path to self-employment and entrepreneurship was not easy but Nada’s passion for the power of visual arts gave her the strength to overcome these challenges. Building an art community and body of work around something she feels really positively impacts our society and adds unique beauty to our world has been Nada’s most recent focus and motivation.
Nada’s work explores the relationship between reality and fantasy, often merging natural landscapes and florals with bold colour. She wields her palette knife as a tool to create thick and lively textures in the impasto technique. Nada pulls her inspiration from the power of colour, Mother Nature, and her travels around the world.
Nada has participated in over a dozen exhibits across Canada and private collectors around the world own her original paintings. She especially enjoys sparking a creative passion in others through sharing her journey, showing her process and offering in-person painting classes on occassion.
My name is Nada Khatib and I am a professional palette knife painter. I paint when I have creative surges and visions I am compelled to bring to life. I often experiment with contrast and textures to make my paintings pop. My use of colour and thick paint draws the viewer’s eye to the subject and makes the painting feel alive.
My love of nature and people inspires me and my evolution as an artist drives me. My paintings reflect an imaginary fantasy world where the reality of creations merges with dramatic and surrealist colour. I paint to bring more colour and joy to the world and to reflect the way in which various forms of life are interconnected.
My preferred medium is acrylic paint because it allows for deep layering. My love of palette knives stems from the feeling of freedom they provide because I know I can let go of control and allow the knives and paint to naturally create textured. I never know how the paint will land on the surface and I don't blend the paint like with traditional brushes – it is about intentional strokes then it just is what it is, and I find great joy and satisfaction in that. Simply moving thick paint around with a knife is also therapeutic and very gratifying for me. I love challenging myself to create new types of textures through trial and error.
I use a variety of materials and processes in my work and the outcome is not always calculated. I often allow my heart to naturally guide me through the painting. This is when I most often find myself creating fascinating new techniques such as mixing paint and mediums to create magic, layering paint over multiple sessions, manipulating paint to create cool effects and finding cool surfaces to paint on such as rustic wood.
CURRICULAM VITAE (CV)
- University of Calgary, Creative Acrylic Painting, 2018
- McMaster University, Bachelor of Arts Degree (Honors), 2007-2011
- Expression By Nada, Owner & Professional Artist, 2018-present
- Young Rembrants, Art Teacher, Calgary, Alberta, 2019-2020
- Paint Nite, Master Artist, Calgary, Alberta, 2018-2019
- Burrito Loco, Partner/Operations Manager, Manama, Bahrain, 2016-2018
- Parrish and Heimbecker, Grain Admin/Trader Assistant, Toronto, Ontario, 2016
- KPMG Law, Immigration Coordinator, Toronto, Ontario, 2011-2015
PUBLIC ART EXHIBITIONS
- Art Commons Windows Galleries, Calgary, Alberta, 2019-2020
- Country Hills Library, Calgary, Alberta, 2019 & 2020
- Louise Riley Library, Calgary, Alberta, 2019 & 2020
- Market Collective, Calgary, Alberta, 2019
- Arab Film Fest Art Exhibit, Calgary, Alberta, 2019
- Judith Umbach Library, Calgary, Alberta, 2019
- Café Koi, Calgary, Alberta, 2019
- Makeit Show, Calgary, Alberta, 2019
- Raw Artist Showcase, Calgary, Alberta, 2019
- New Central Library, Calgary, Alberta, 2019
- Under 100 Art Show, Calgary, Alberta, 2018 & 2019
- Crowfoot Library, Calgary, Alberta, 2018 & 2019
- Bowness Library, Calgary, Alberta, 2018 & 2019
- Muslim Art Movement, Calgary, Alberta, 2018 & 2019
- Beacon Art Exhibit, Calgary, Alberta, 2018
- Date/Less Valentines Event, Living Painting Art Interaction, cSPACE Kind Edward, 2020
- Alberta Culture Days Painting Workshop, Acrylic Painting Techniques Instructor, Judith Umbach Library, 2019
- Ultimate Summer Challenge Painting Workshops, Acrylic Painting Techniques Instructor, Central Library, 2019
VOLUNTEERING & COMMUNITY SERVICE
- cSPACE King Edward, Studio C Volunteer, Calgary, Alberta, 2019 - 2020
- Western Muslim Initiative, General Director, Calgary, Alberta, 2019 - 2020
- Indefinite Arts Centre, Studio Assistant And Mentor, Calgary, Alberta, 2019
The Sister's Project Studio Visit & Interview:
Calgary Public Library Interview:
Art Commons Exhibition Press Release:
Across Her Table Podcast Interview:
Art for BLM Interview: